If you benefit from reading a book, consider writing a book review. It's the nicest thing you can do for an author! The question often arises: How do I write a book review?
Here are some key tips on how to write a book review:
1. Place your review at the retailer website where you purchased the book. If you purchased from Amazon for example, go to your "orders" section and add the review here. If it was a kindle > look under "digital orders" and select the kindle version to place your review next to the kindle. Book or kindle - you want to make sure the review is attached to the right version!
2. If the author gave you a book or sold it to you personally, you may even want to consider purchasing a kindle or nook version if you want your review to be more powerful for the author. The reason this is important is that it will be listed as a "verified purchase" which counts more from an Amazon search ranking perspective. Otherwise, any review is always appreciated by an author! All reviews will be seen by potential buyers!
3. Be Specific. Instead of just writing "Great book" or "Super helpful" - it is most valuable to the author if you can describe in some detail what you learned and how you benefitted from the book. Amazon lets you create a unique headline so use the headline and the review section to be specific about the book value. If you give an example of how you benefitted - that is fantastic!
4. Don't get personal. Make the review about the book and the benefit / value. This is not the place to mention that you know the author, because no one will care and it will make the review less valuable to the author.
5. Name. With Amazon, you can enter your actual name on the review OR use an abbreviation like John M. or Susan Z. Do whatever is right for you in regards to the name on the review. Generally using just your full name OR your first name and last initial is usually a good idea. It is a bit better to use some version of your name, rather than "Amazon customer."
Thank you for reading this. Any author would appreciate an honest book review. This makes the book more valuable in the rankings and more appealing to potential buyers!